Home > Student life > Student Support

Student Support

Student Support System

Yamanashi Gakuin University has various support systems that also put parents and guardians at ease. The university continues to pursue not only further improvement of its educational capabilities, but also the creation of an environment that provides comprehensive support for all students in their academic endeavors, health, and day-to-day lives.

Individual Consultations (offices)

Offices are open to all students and are ready to provide individual consultations. Consultations are offered regardless of faculty or department not only regarding classes and study methods, but also employment and issues in everyday life, such as interests. Please take advantage of the abundant knowledge and experience of the teachers.



Health Care Room

If you are injured and need first aid, or if you are sick and don’t know where to go to for treatment, you can use this service.

Location:Campus Center 2nd Floor



Student Counseling Room

You can use this service when you have a problem with your campus life and do not know where to go for help.
Location:Campus Center 3rd Floor




National Health Insurance

Yamanashi Gakuin UniversityJapan has a medical insurance system in place to reduce the burden of medical expenses. All international students enrolled at Yamanashi Gakuin University are required to join the National Health Insurance Program. If you are enrolled in this insurance system, when you visit a hospital for illness or injury, the local government will pay part of your medical expenses and you will be able to receive treatment without worrying about your financial situation.

Admission procedures

Procedures are conducted at the city hall of your residence. For international students who are entering Japan for the first time, the Center for International Exchange (CIE) will assist them.
You must report to the city office in person in the following cases.

  • Change of address ・・・within 14 days after the change
  • Leaving Japan for graduation or a leave of absence・・・2 weeks before leaving Japan

Insurance fee

The cost of insurance depends on your income and other factors. If you have no income from the previous year in Japan, the annual cost of insurance is about 20,000 yen. If you have a higher income from a part-time job, the cost of the following year’s insurance may be higher. By paying a monthly fee, the co-payment for medical expenses when you visit a hospital is 30%. Please note that if you don’t pay your premiums, you will be responsible for the full cost of your medical care.

Multi-language medical record


Residence and Registration Procedures

Request for an intermediary

Yamanashi Gakuin University

This is a method of application in which the university submits the application for residence to the Immigration Bureau on behalf of the student. You will be responsible for preparing the application documents. You must prepare all the necessary documents and submit them to International Exchange Center.

The application procedure by the university are as follows.

  • Application for permission to extend the period of stay
  • Application for permission to engage Others Activities (part-time work)

Important notes

  • Application for permission to extend your period of stay must be processed before the expiration of your period of stay. If you miss the expiration date by even one day, you are considered to be in Japan illegally.
    You can apply for this permission from three months before your period of stay expires. Please check your period of stay and apply as soon as possible.
  • Students with poor grades or low credit scores may be required to have a personal interview before applying for the extension of their period of stay. If you do not respond to the interview, you will not be able to apply for renewal.
  • There may be cases where you are asked to apply on your own if your grades are poor or your credits are insufficient.
  • It may take some time to process your application. Please make sure to submit your application in advance.
【About the Information Session for Renewal】

We will hold a briefing session in mid-April. All students who will be expiring between May and August are encouraged to attend. For more information about the briefing, please check the bulletin board or the Facebook page.

If you have any other questions regarding your status of residence, please contact the International Exchange Center.

Documents Required for Application for Extension of Period of Stay

  1. Application form (3 pages)・・・You can get them from the International Exchange Center office
  2. One ID photo (3cm x 4cm)
  3. Original and copy of your passport
  4. Residence card (Copies of both sides only)
  5. Fee: Revenue stamp 4,000 yen
  6. Application for permission to engage in Others Activities (for students who want to work part-time)
  7. Residence Card Name Print Request Form
  8. Copies of the bankbook

If you apply within one year after enrollment

In addition to the above documents, the following documents are required if you apply within one year after entering the school.

  • Original Certificate of Admission
  • Proof of payment of expenses
  • Transcripts and graduation certificate from the last school

If you are no longer a student of Yamanashi Gakuin University (Withdrawal or Expulsion)

If you are no longer a student of Yamanashi Gakuin University due to withdrawal or expulsion from the university, you will lose your “Student” status. If you continue to live in Japan, you will be in violation of the law. Please be aware of the following.

(1)You must return to your home country immediately

Students must return to their home country immediately after withdrawing or expelling from the university, even if they still have some time left on their visa. If you are no longer a student of the university, your “Student” status becomes invalid. If you continue to stay in Japan in this state, you will be considered to be an “illegal resident”.

The Immigration Bureau is aware of the information of those who have lost their “Student” status. (Universities regularly report the number of foreign students who have graduated, completed their studies, withdrew or expelled from the university, and whose whereabouts are unknown to the Immigration Bureau.)

※When you return to your home country, be sure to take the necessary steps in moving out and cancelling all the necessary contract.

(2)Quit your part-time job immediately

You are not allowed to engage in activities outside of your visa status (part-time work) from the day you are expelled from school. If you have a part-time job, you will be considered to be working illegally.